1. Five facts about your current relationship OR Five facts about your single life.
- I usually enjoy being single…until I’m around people who are not + conversing about relationships
- I would like companionship in the form of marriage and a family of my own
- I don’t go to bars or dance clubs
- I prefer getting to know people in smaller groups, or working towards a common goal
- Even though I don’t have kids of my own, I still have family obligations of my own, so don’t think that just because I’m single I have all the free, unburdened time in the world
2. Five facts about a past relationship.
- We never really clicked from the start
- I did not appreciate them correcting me publicly
- I did not appreciate them treating my friends horribly and rudely
- I couldn’t get past their selfishness
- We don’t talk anymore
3. Five facts about your mother.
- She turns 60 this year
- She works for the state of California
- Her mother is my only living grandparent (86 this year)
- She has one other brother that I haven’t seen in 10 years
- I have two cousins from her side of the family that I haven’t seen since I was 8
4. Five facts about your father.
- He is the second youngest amongst my grandparent’s 7 kids
- His younger brother died of some mysterious brain fever when my dad was 10
- His older brother (the third oldest) died of heart disease when I was 15
- His father immigrated to Mexico and started an import/export business there
- His father’s father (my great-grandfather) had two wives; there was serious family drama between the two wives causing a split that still is tricky today, even though my father tried to mend things
5. Five facts about your sibling. If you have more than one, pick one. Or do them all!
- He is about 3 years older than me
- He has lived in Japan for the past 10 years
- I haven’t seen him since our cousin’s wedding in 2009
- He sends me Japanese snacks for my birthday each year
- We weren’t very close growing up
6. Five facts about your best friend. If you have more than one, pick one. Or do them all!
- I don’t think I would consider them ‘best’ friends, but I have 2 friends in particular who are very close
- One is a wife and mother of 2 super cute kids
- The other is a journalism teacher in LA
- We were bridesmaids for the one who is a wife/mother
- We’ve known each other for nearly 25 years
7. Five facts about your house.
- My parent’s house is 9 years old, we watched it and our neighborhood being built from the ground up
- It has 5 bedrooms
- It has two lemon trees, a pomelo tree, an orange, an Asian pear, and a kumquat tree
- The place I current rent is 45 years old; I’ve lived there for 3 months now
- I have 3 other roommates, one of whom just moved out this week to be closer to work
8. Five facts about your niece or nephew. If you have more than one, pick one. Or do them all! Skip if you don’t have one.
- I have 4 nephews on my dad’s side, and 1 niece on my mom’s side, all of whom are kids of my cousins
- The oldest is 18, which is precisely the age gap between his mother and myself
- The youngest is the niece, whom I have never seen; I think she is around kindergarten age now
- My favorite nephew has the nickname ‘Ding-Ding’ [丁丁], meaning ‘small nub’
- He is now over 6’2″
9. Five facts about your education.
- I went to the Lincoln High, which was considered the ‘rich’ public school in my area; it is no longer such
- I went to UC Davis and majored in mathematics because I thought that if I were going to pay for my education, I might as well learn something I didn’t know; it made sense to me at the time, and despite a bunch of set-backs, I have no regrets
- I studied abroad at Hong Kong University; looking back, my education would not have been complete without this experience
- I went to CSU Sacramento for my teaching credential, focusing on working in Title 1 schools
- I continue to take grad courses at CSU East Bay
10. Five facts about your job.
- I am a fifth year 8th grade math teacher
- I am co-department chair with the best colleague in the world
- I get to school around 7am and usually leave around 5:30pm, but teaching hours are only 8:45am to 2:55pm
- I was/am: a union rep for my site, chairperson of SSC, school dance chaperone and dance crew dinner coordinator, MathCounts Club coach, EL team member/translator
- My favorite class to teach are my EL students
11. Five facts about your pet. If you have more than one, pick one. Or do them all!
- I’ve had a cocker spaniel, a canary, a chow chow, a hamster, a rabbit, and various fish
- Their names were Sammy, Timmy, Patch, Yuki, and Momiji (fish were not named)
- I loved Patch and Momiji the most
- Yuki was a gift from a roommate who ended up being very inconsiderate of our living space (the roommate, not the hamster)
- When Yuki died, I was a little relieved because I was leaving for HKU anyway; my other roommate and I buried him in my parent’s backyard, creating a dead spot it he grass for years – that’s what painted metal coffee cans do to the environment folks!
12. Five facts about your phone.
- It is an iPhone 3
- It was already refurbished when I got it 3 years ago
- I got it for 1¢ (back when AT&T still had those deals)
- It is my first smartphone
- It still serves my purposes well and I probably won’t get a new phone until this one completely dies – although I have recently switched from AT&T to StraightTalk (more on a later post)
13. Five facts about your favorite show.
- Oh gosh, I love TV; my current favorites are The Daily Show, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Roommate (Korean reality TV show), Madam Secretary, and 60 Minutes
- My past favorites were: 24, Alias, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Full House (Korean), Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and (sadly) The Colbert Report
- I still like: Modern Family, New Girl, The Good Wife, and Elementary
- New shows that intrigue me are: The 100, Gotham, The Flash, and Selfie
- Dr. Who is probably the creepiest TV show I’ve ever watched
14. Five facts about your favorite movie.
- It’s called My Neighbor Totoro by the great Hayao Miyasaki
- It was made in 1988
- It’s a sweet animated film in the old-school style about two sisters, their father, their hospitalized mother, and the great forest totoro
- The Cantonese word for ‘Totoro’ is ‘龍貓’ – literally ‘dragon cat’ but is also the word for chinchilla; I want my next pet to be a chinchilla and I will name it Totoro…FULL CIRCLE!
- I watched it every year from the earliest time I could remember through college
15. Five facts about your favorite book.
- The Golden Compass, the first book in His Dark Materials triology
- Written by Phillip Pullman
- Who is an self-professed atheist, which surprised me because of all the Christian themes in these books
- It is about a girl named Lyra in an alternate reality which crosses with our known reality in the story
- It is the only trilogy of books that I’ve read which gets better and better as it goes
16. Five facts about your favorite band.
- I currently don’t have a favorite band…well, I guess it could be Girls Generation
- Previously, my favorite bands included: Kattun, Twins, L’arc En Ciel, Clazziquai, and Stereopony
- I don’t think I have ever liked an American band…maybe Pentatonix, if they can be considered a band…oh! and TLC!
- Perhaps I tend to jump on the bandwagon of what the collective music community likes: The Roots, ColdPlay, etc
- My favorite genres of music are Baroque, electronic, grunge rock, and pop
17. Five facts about your favorite celebrity.
- Again, I don’t really have a favorite celebrity…I follow whoever is at the top of the entertainment news; shallow? well, we are talking about entertainment news
- I am a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck though
- I am in awe of how Korean celebrities get their skin to be so flawless, even on a live camera – must be some powerful lights and makeup/skincare!
- I guess I like any celebrity who exhibit humor, intelligence, humility, and consideration of others – just like I like any non-celebrity who exhibit these things
- My favorite blogger celebrity is Sam is Home
18. Five facts about the city/town you live in.
- It’s a fairly small town in the San Francisco Bay Area of California
- I have a lot of teen memories of driving through this town from where my parents live to the Bay
- It is has a mall, Asian grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, Target, Walmart, Half-Priced Books, a BART station, and is near an outlet mall – it has everything!
- It does not have affordable places to buy on a teacher salary 😦
- I still like it though because it’s the only place where my family doesn’t live that I feel at home in
19. Five facts about you right now (it could be what you’re wearing, how you’re feeling, what you’re doing).
- It’s cold today and I’m wearing a tank, a one-size sweatshirt, a house jacket, yoga pants, socks, and fuzzy slippers
- I’m feeling warm from a steak dinner that I made for my family
- I’m feeling entertained from watching Roommate
- Feeling like I want to make Korean food for dinner tomorrow
20. Five facts about any random person (it could be more facts about somebody already mentioned or somebody else you’d like mentioned here).
- The super colleague I work with and is co-chair with is 1 year younger than me
- She has a husband and a kid who will turn 1 soon
- She’s obviously an extrovert, which I appreciate especially during dull meetings
- She makes really good breakfast foods
- We are alike enough to work well together, but each of us have our own strengths that the other doesn’t so that we also cover a lot of ground just between the two of us – go team!